Wednesday, June 08, 2005

No News on Jackson

Still awaiting a verdict. I've already gone on record (I believe) as saying that I think it's going to be a not guilty. I'll say it again. One thought around my office was whether this may be a hang, and this certainly seems like the type of case that would normally hang. However, I was thinking about it, you rarely see high profile case hang. In the office we were trying to talk about situations where high profile cases hung, and we only came up with a couple. The first Menendez case hung, but later resulted in a conviction. That case had nothing of a profile like the criminal trials of the mid-90's through now, and it only hung between degrees of murder and manslaughter, which is different than disagreeing over the basic facts of what happened. I think that one of the recent high profile corporate fraud cases hung as well, which one escapes me at this time. But, essentially, it is much more rare for high profile cases to hang as compared to the run of the mill cases.

I'm curious about everyone's prediction, post a comment and let me know. Go on the record so you can't try and say "I told you so" later.

6 comments:

Windypundit said...

Having read as little as possible about the case, I nevertheless boldly lead the way by predicting he will be found guilty of at least one count of administering an intoxicating agent, but he will moonwalk his way out of there on the lewd acts, the attempted lewd act, and the conspiracy charge.

Anonymous said...

It would be hard to say that the prosecution had proven their case beyond reasonable doubt....I think windypundit is probably right.

Anonymous said...

I think it is a disservice for people to make predictions on what a jury will do. I did not sit through the trial and I did not hear what evidence the jury heard, so how would I be able to make a prediction? Moreover, who really cares about this trial?

Anonymous said...

I think he'll be filing for Chapter 13 after the verdict no matter what.

Anonymous said...

A common joke among public defenders:

"Your Honor, I move to have my client tried as celebrity"

Windypundit said...

No he ain't.