Thursday, December 02, 2004

Update on an Old Trial of Mine

Last year I did a long and emotionally and physically draining special circumstance murder trial (the prosecution chose not to seek death on it). Well, afterwards (the case hung 7-5 for guilty) I had to declare a conflict of interest due to new evidence that came forward which would involve us implicating another one of our clients.

That case just went back to trial with a new lawyer, using different tactics. The jury is still out on the case, and have been now for 2 days. I had my jury out for almost a week, so I guess a long deliberation is not surprising. Check out my November 2003 and October 2003 archives for my posts on the subject.

The case wore me out, and I vowed to my co-workers that I would not do another trial for a year (something nearly unthinkable, and that I've never even come close to accomplishing in the past). Well, jury hung 11/4/03, and I have still not done another trial, with none really on the horizon. I don't have any explanation for this, it's not like I'm avoiding them, I almost went a couple of times, and in a couple of cases where I wouldn't talk dispo with the DA because the case was so good were dismissed. Now, I think I need to get back into it since I've probably become rusty. What is voir dire anyways?

No comments: